Thursday, June 4, 2009

Zoned out with the real world

I recently met a friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in a while. Well call her Jane. Jane was someone who I always looked up to. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. She is hot, smart, funny and confident in everything she has ever did. In my eyes this girl was someone who should have been the marketing image for what a strong woman should be. She is great, she'll try anything once and loves to have a good time. With all that I've said about her, you can just imagine how excited I was to get to see and visit with her. Well so we went to lunch and started talking about what we had been doing with our lives and what we were still planning to do. Now we all have goals in life. Its what makes life goes so fast. They can big, like becoming rich when you grew up dirt poor. They can be small, like spending more time with your family, friends, or significant other. I understand that every one's goals are not the same and that what might be important to me might not be important to my girl-friend. I get that, but while Jane and I were talking about life I couldn't help feel a little disappointed with her. It seems that she is engaged and about to have a baby. Now that is great for her, she always wanted a family and her dream man, I am really excited for her. But.... anytime I asked her anything about life, what she wanted to do after the excitement of the baby and wedding went away, she didn't understand or didn't know. She say well I'm a mother now or I'll be a wife then so ya know...She begin talking about how lucky she was to have found a man like her fiance and how she couldn't wait to use all her baby stuff. I love my girl-friend very much but I think she lost herself a little bit. She slipped back into the little girl mode who believes in fairy-tales. That's not reality. You can be happy with family and marriage but life doesn't stop, you don't live happily ever after and that's it. You wake up after the honeymoon and realize shit I got to go to work and my dog needs to go for a walk. That I have bills to pay and a new book to finish writing or whatever. I know that I'm rambling but I just don't understand have someone can forget that they are so much more talented then planning a wedding or picking out what your kids are going to wear for the day. Don't get me wrong that is exciting when it's new. But please try to remember that not everyone shares the same excitement for your goal as you do. Anyone who loves you is going to support you and listen to you, but please try to remember that while you constantly talking about fairy-tale land, we want to talk about the new photography opening that we're about to do and that we're just as excited about our idea as you are about your moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment